It might not seem like big news to some people, but to me I'm still rather shocked.
Well, people should know by now that our dear local comedian MC King has passed away.
He was never really 'famous' in that sense, but I think almost every Chinese Singaporean knows him, especially by this name.
I'm a huge local show fan (and bizarrely get scoffed at for that), so this news affected me more than the passing away of some Taiwanese female artiste a few months ago.
I still remember when I was young, there were 4 pairs of local comedians, cutely all were made up by the 'one skinny, one fat' combo.
Wang Sha + Ye Feng, Hua Liang + Zhao Jin, Jack Neo + Moses Lim, and of course, Mark Lee and MC King.
The first pair has passed away (ok they were old, so I understood that) (I got reminded of them watching Wok of Life), Hua Liang got knocked down by a Japanese person's car 10+ years ago, and now it has happened to MC King, who was only 39 when he passed away.
As a kid, I cannot remember the exact jokes they made, but that was the 'golden period' of local comedy. I miss them, and I miss those days.
Suddenly I feel like watching old comedy night shows, parts like Liang Po Po, Liang Xi Mei, Shen Jing Yi Fa (Mark Lee made his debut as a rubbish bin or toilet bowl I remembered), Office Politics, and many many other funny segments.
And sadly, I didn't really get to watch and don't really remember stuff from the other 3 pairs' performances, but I do remember that the first pair was really super funny, especially with their Teochew jokes.
I must go hunt for them!
This is his blog, if you're interested http://mcking13.spaces.live.com/
RIP, MC King