Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Caught
Of course, life is always full of dilemmas. Ideally we'll want something that is challenging yet not too tough to make us collapse, something we're good at yet we can learn everyday, something that stimulates our senses yet does not stress us, making us feel bad. Something that pays to the maximum of our potential yet does not take out the maximum of our time, something with great energetic colleagues who can be friends yet does not provide stiff competition for promotion, something that allows you to travel out of the office but does not require you to use any labour. Or something which allows you to travel out of the country but does not make you miss home.
Yes, IDEALLY.
How we navigate and compromise through these 'ideals' depends on your personal utility function and recognition of the constraints. We love money yet we also love free time. We love capable colleagues yet we also love to be the best amongst peers. We love stimulating work yet we also love to slack mentally.
Are there jobs which fulfils all the ideals? Yes definitely, but I guess it's really bloody damn hard to find.
I'm glad I kinda know my utility function and the compromise I'm willing to make, but of course deep down we're trained to look for the imperfections rather than what you already have. Deep down the want to 'run' faster than others to make up for what I'm lagging, yet understanding that nothing can be brought into the coffin and there is no point having time to earn money but no time to spend that. And of course your health, mental health and time with your loved ones, who probably wouldn't be around much longer.
Personal pride vs Personal contentment.
Material Satisfaction vs Overall Well-being.
Not easy, not easy, but life's too short to be caught up with all these.
lowtide blogged @
10:04 pm
